Friday, June 10, 2011

Bloodstream Infection

Wednesday afternoon Lauren began sleeping quite a bit.  It's so weird how a parent suddenly becomes obsessed with the mount of sleep her baby is getting.  Watching her so closely and while holding her taking that little feel to her head, making sure it's not to full...  it's such a constant worry, but the joy of having a baby like Lauren overcomes any of these differences.

Thursday morning about 2:30 Lauren woke up crying and continued to do so for hours and hours.  She wouldn't nurse and I barely got some milk in her through a bottle.  she has such an amazing temperament that I knew something was up, small or big-my little one had something wrong.  She began to run a fever later that morning and I took her to her doctor.  They checked her ears, throat, breathing, and urine.  They all came back clean and clear.  At this point we decided to call neuro, and they advised us to come on to Nashville. 

At 3:00 yesterday we were admitted into the hospital er at Vanderbilt.  They ran a bunch of blood work, did an mri, took x-rays, and tapped her shunt.  It appears that Lauren's spinal fluid is not infected, however her blood is.  Because her shunt goes to her heart where the blood pumps they are going to externalize her shunt until the infection is gone.  They really don't want the infection to spread to her spinal fluid.  They will then re-internalize it and will have at least a week of post op antibiotics.

With an external drain, they must remain flat and level with the drain.  She has been on two before, so we are aware of the challenges they present.  I fear that Lauren is used to being up and mobile and now being flat... most of the time may be frustrating.

We are just going to have to take this one day at a time.  The good news out of all of this is that her cultures are actually growing a germ; where in the past they didn't and they had to generalize her treatment.  Knowing which specific bug is getting busy will help the infectious disease and neuro team come up with a specialized and specific course of treatment and hopefully knock this thing out quickly.  There really is no telling how long it will take to get the infection, so it's a wait and wait game.

I wish I was able to post more about her life at home, but for now-the hospital it is.  I am very thankful that we atleast got to spend some quality time together as a family.  I look am looking for strength and praying for clarity that I can better understand and get through this experience.  Thank you for the support that we have already received.  I will need a lot of help with my other daughters, so I thank those that are offering to help-it means so much!  

I'll keep you all posted after surgery... and into our new room...  XOXO

UPDATE: surgery will now be most likely postponed till Monday.  Still waiting on patient room-they are extremely full.

4 comments:

  1. Oh no, I'm SO sorry! That is really a bummer :(. Sometime that helped Madi when she had to be level is holding her on a pillow so I could talk and play with her, and having them level her there. I finally had them show me how to level it too, and open and close the valve, so that we coudl move around a bit more. You could also put her in a baby carrier/wrap and have them level her while she's on you. Keep us updated! Prayers headed your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda-
    A doctor once told me that a mother's instinct is better than any medical test. I am so sorry to hear this news and will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers. Lauren is such a little warrior, I'm sure she'll be back on the road to recovery soon. I can't imagine how difficult this has been for you but your grace and courage is so inspiring! Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the ideas Jamie! I'll definitely inquire! I know how to turn off and on and kind of adjust level, but would need more training... I like the idea with the carrier/wrap...

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWWW, Tamara that is so thoughtful to say. I believe that the mother instinct is super powerful. I appreciate your thoughts and prayers incredibly.

    ReplyDelete