Thursday, June 23, 2011

I just don't know

Sorry, this is late.  I know many were waiting for surgery updates...  I wanted to write earlier, but just wasn't emotionally ready.  I think if I had it would have been saturated with frustration and sadness.

Lauren's surgery went really well according to the surgeons.  They did put in a VA shunt again.  This time on her left side.  She got three new scars:(  The nurses in recovery and in the room when we got back were really on top of keeping her pain under control (of course after much advocation from her mommy).  She didn't sleep very soundly or solid, but did get some rest.  I could tell she was uncomfortable still.

Lauren's eyes began to look swollen later that evening, and by morning time it looked like a bee had stung her.  A few hours later, the swelling went down, but it's still there a little.

Sometime in the middle of the night she threw up.  I got up several times to check on her, but didn't see it.  It had fallen below her neck all under her.  I felt awful!  Then at 6:00 I went to feed her and she would not eat.  Shortly after she threw up again. 

Neuro came by and said that they would want her head to feel softer (shunt moms you know what I mean).  He said that he wanted to keep a close eye on her and check her out this afternoon.  Later, him and Dr. Tulipan came, and he verified that her head was too firm.  They were going to go back and look at x-ray from yesterday's post op, and have another look in the morning at her.

In the meantime, Lauren began running a fever, the tylenol got it back down, but it's starting to go up again.  She threw up again later this afternoon after I tried feeding her a small bottle.  I did about an hour after that get her to nurse for about 5 minutes.

Her temperament is just not her.  She is easily disturbed and is sleeping lightly and grunting a lot.  She wants to be held 24/7.  It's amazing trying to outsmart a 3 month old, trying to lay her down on bed, without her realizing it.

So, right now I am confused.  I don't have any idea what could make her react so suddenly after the surgery.  I hope it's not a shunt malfunction. PLEASE!!!!  Something is causing her to do these things and I just don't know...

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry Lauren is having such a tough time. I hope they get to the bottom of it and get your sweet girl back to her normal self soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, my heart is aching right now for you :(. Can you e-mail me your address so I can send you a card? jamie_lugo@hotmail.com. I am going to say a prayer right now for Lauren.

    ReplyDelete