Monday, June 13, 2011

Pain med

So, if you remember Lauren had that one horrendous event post op with loads and loads of pain-all to find out it was a mis-dosing error on the anesthesia down on surgery, so we spent hours trying to catch up on the pain. So, of course each time we go to surgery I find it a major duty of mine to ensure that her dosing for pain med is on target.  So why is it every time I speak of this event, very nicely may I add, to the anesthesiologist, they look at me like, "That's impossible, we would NEVER get it wrong."  sigh.

So, things are a little different in Pod A where we are now than from NICU.  1) a doctor isn't there at your beck and call.   Especially after surgery following you back to your room, making sure everything is great. 2)  They don't do pain meds the same. This is my conversation earlier today:

Me: So, I just want to make sure Lauren has her fentynal (pain med) all ready for us back in her room when we get back from surgery.
Nurse:(blank stare, moments elapse)...Oh, well we don't administer fentynal here.
Me: OK, so what do you do?
Nurse: (confused) Well, it would be something like morphine?
Me: Alright, will that be pushed through IV, or a drip...
Nurse: I am not sure.
(At this point I am frustrated by the lack of concern fro my baby's well being...like pain management isn't that important.  I am sure this is not how she really felt, but she certainly wasn't convincing me at this point)
Me: So...how are we going to help her?
Nurse: Well, we don't have a doctor here in our pod that could order that pain med, so it would have to be her doctor (neuro surg).
Me: Alright, I 'll be sure to talk to them ahead of time to make sure orders are written in advance.  It's just really important to me.
Nurse: ok... (la-ti-da)

I know I am being harsh, and she really is nice, but geez!  Some help here!  I did talk to neuro surg before surgery and they said they would take care of it.

Surgery went well.  When I got to recovery she was crying and I asked about pain med.  She said she gave her a little dose 15 minutes before and then implies that she is crying because she is just hungry.  Um, no.  She is not rooting, she is in pain, please give her some more.  Which she did, then had to wait a while to get back to room, thus allotting time for the med to wear off.  When we got back up to room, ten minutes later, as Lauren is obviously uncomfortable I ask what kind of pain medicine they have available for her.  Which the nurse responded, "we don't have anything to give her."  Again, like it's no big deal.  "Okay, so....hmmm.  She really needs something."

Turns out orders were written late, about forty minutes later she got orders for something to be administered.

Lauren is currently trying to sleep and rest.  Can't wait for her to feel great and be smiley.

Again, sorry for ranting-just one of those moods I guess.  I'll try to promise to be better tomorrow.

Seriously, want to thank all the prayers that were sent out today during surgery and recovery, they helped her get through it again.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, yikes, how the heck do they care for children without knowing the answers to those questions?!?!?!? Crazy!! Glad she is resting now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. She actually did really good overnight and today!

    ReplyDelete