Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Busy Day Wednesday



 I stayed very late last night with Lauren.  About 10:00 surgery came by to see if the witch hazel (used to shrink) would work with the mucous fistula.  For a very long time they tried after soaking it to push it back into her abdomen, but had no success.  It was so tough for Lauren, but she endured and showed us all how strong she is.

This morning the surgeon came again and looked at the site and wanted to continue to soak the fistula in the witch hazel pads, and see if there is any shrinkage.  She really does not want to go back to surgery to fix-neither do I, but having  massive piece of your insides hanging out isn't good either.  The surgeon is even considering sending us home this way until she is ready for her next surgery to make her anus.  I feel VERY uncomfortable with this decision, and expressed my discomfort.  We will see, they said they would be back for a follow up.  This was all within my first 30 minutes this morning.

Then...Lauren begins running a temperature and is swollen at her shunt site at the base.  After many attempts to get her blood they sent it off revealing that she does have another infection somewhere.  Neuro came later this afternoon to tap her shunt for spinal fluid and realized after investigation that the abdominal end of the shunt's surgical incision is leaking fluid-yes folks-leaking!!!  After a CRAZY two hours of this and that and many orders Lauren received an ultra sound of the area, restitched the abdomen incision, has a VP shunt x-ray ordered, and surgery.  Yes, surgery tomorrow. AHHHHHH!  They need to get in there and figure out what is going on.  After looking at images, seeing if spinal fluid is where infection is, and peeking around they will determine what they will do to shunt.  Since this is an add on surgery it will probably be tomorrow afternoon sometime and I won't know what they are doing until after, probably. 

I feel quite frustrated right now.  I want Lauren to feel absolutely no pain, be healed, and ready to go home!  Any mom would want that for their baby. I know that I have to pray for patience and understanding.  I need to trust God to take care of her and know that He is in control. 

On the good side, Lauren is peeing in a diaper now!!!  Yeah for my little girl!  We will cath here and there to see how much she is emptying on her own, but so far so good.  This is wonderful to hear!

I'll be sure to keep this posted with her progress tomorrow.  Also, sorry for ranting-I needed to vent.  Thank you for all the prayers!  We have the best support system and are so fortunate to have such wonderful family and friends.  Love ya all!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, I am SO sorry. The beginning is just so rough with those dang shunts. I pray you can get over this hump.

    ReplyDelete