Friday, April 1, 2011

Shunt Revision

Well, Lauren was obviously cranky this morning because she was hungry from her NPO after midnight.  Then, about 30 minutes before surgery she was calm and cute and was getting the nurses down in holding oooing and awwing.

They were going to try and place shunt on right side again, however ended up doing the left side and having to cross her chest and abdomen to the right side for the drain tube, so that it wouldn't interfere with her ostomy (which is on left side).

Poor little Lauren had an extremely difficult recovery and is now sleeping after two hours...  This was by far the most difficult thing I have had to witness and be a part of through this stay.  I felt so helpless...  Anyway, I am hoping that when she wakes up the pain meds will be in full effect and she will feel, look, and move much better!


One person I haven't thanked yet on this blog is God.  I feel silly cause He's the one that I pray and thank each and every day to, and owe all of her wonderful strength to.  It's amazing how strong our faith can become and at how trusting God to bless and watch over Lauren has made me feel so much more at peace with her journey.  I truly am thankful for our faith and all of those that have spiritually supported us!  

Update: Lauren did sleep in and out for a few hours waking up to cry this evening.   They doubled her pain meds and are giving her an additional dose every couple of hours as needed since she is really upset.  She has always had such a wonderful temperament, it's difficult to see that my touch or voice won't even console her.   After care checks at 8:00, I was able to feed her a small amount of pedialite.  Hopefully, she will graduate to milk throughout the night or early morning and her pain will subside.

3 comments:

  1. I am sorry for Lauren's difficulty in recovering easily after this surgery; she is a strong girl and we will have to follow her example. I wish I could have been there with you today. We do have so much to be thankful for, don't we? One of my guests asked about Lauren today and said she and her church were keeping Lauren in prayer. And my GM asked about her and wanted another update tomorrow. God has blessed us and been faithful in His care of Lauren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry she is having a rough time. FOr some reason, that (the surgery to put in a new shunt after having an external drain because of infection) was a rough one for Madi too. We had to do extra pain meds and she slept for 6 hours straight! It was crazy! She did heal quickly, though :)

    ReplyDelete